The Contents of this Blog




What you will find on this blog are posts about travel, posts about life experience, posts about art, and posts about ideas. But primarily they are all posts that try to make use of the power of language, because nothing can be more moving or convincing than a fine phrase.

I'm afraid there is nothing very modern or up-to-the-minute here, because most of my writings are quite ‘dated’. But what you will find – I hope – is an attempt to capture human experience on the hop, as it were, before it fades forever.
That might sound a bit solemn, but in fact I derive a lot of pleasure from writing, even writing that describes difficult experiences. I hope to be able to convey some of that pleasure to you too.
What qualifications have I got that might fit me for this task? Well, I studied English at university and I taught English in England for over 15 years. On top of that I have adored reading the masters of English prose for most of my life.
Thus this is a blog primarily for people who like reading, though I've done my best to append to my posts relevant images whenever I could.

The series of posts I have called My Story seek to portray a time of my life from the age of 18 to 28 when I slowly bungled my way out of puzzled and muddled boyhood into something somewhat self-confident.

Updated September 2023

Click on the appropriate link:











My Story


1. Just a Dam Slave


Repair of a giant generator in a remote dam.

 

2. First Love

Made for love, but paired with a vixen.

 


Foot-slogging in the dunes.


 


Second attempt to connect with femininity.





The crash of my army career.




A third girlfriend and a dim dream of finally seeing Europe.





A fascinating discovery of another country.




Heroic efforts to capture a lost love.





Wage slavery at a holiday camp.





Uncomfortable slumber in a police cell.





A little innocent sowing of wild oats.




Confessions of an unwelcome child.




A man who could not consummate his love for women.




Attachment to another girl and a hurried, reluctant departure for France.




Abandoned by a travelling companion in a foreign country. 




Captured by the spectacle of Spain and bewitched by another woman, I succumb to severe sunstroke. 




Encounter with a far better travelling companion.




How I almost drowned in the Mediterranean Sea and managed to climb a mountain in Austria. 




How I became besotted  by yet another woman.




Two short tales about working in France and the birth of a critical decision.




A story of my experience of a German beer hall and attempted sexual intercourse in the front passenger seat of a Volkswagen Beetle.




Working all through the night on the construction of the new Victoria Line of the London Underground.




Not over the great blizzard that struck Winnipeg on March 4th 1966, but in the company of new Winnipeg friends.




A trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota.






Begging in a national park in Canada, getting a lift with an English cowboy and being taken for a clueless dude.





A post about being thrown onto the street once more, condemnation again to wage slavery and a fresh rejection from another girl.





The last hitch-hiking trip of my life and my last visit to Spain for many years. 

  





Thanks for all you've done for me.





A detailed description and what it taught me about life - and death.





A story about a peculiar invasion.


Travel

Encounter with West Africa: Part 1 - England


Encounter with West Africa: Part 2 - The Gambia



Encounter with West Africa: Part 3 - Senegal


Adventure in the Wilderness

Story about a fishing trip to the wilderness of Western Ontario


Welcome to Tangier

How my two sons and I were intimidated by a trio of rogues.

    

Seductions of Amsterdam

Story of a journey I made to Holland with my elder sun.


   bmi-to-the-moon-800w   

Fly Me to The Moon

Story of a confusing trip from Manchester to Winnipeg in Canada.


   08-night-of-finger-bihting-595m

Night of Finger-Biting

Story of another confusing trip from Vancouver to Manchester.


Great Artists


Rembrandt


The Luncheon of the Boating Party

Renoir


     

Hopper       

    








   



























Stories