9 Waiting by the Seaside


S.S. BERENGARIA

So much of what we call management consists in making it difficult for people to work.

- James M. Barrie


Back in Britain, I bought a motorbike, a Matchless 600cc, to be free of busses and trains. I recall amusing myself on it by riding into the heart of the vast metropolis of London, just for the sake of losing myself in its great maze of streets and then finding my way back to Morden again. After all, feeling lost was not an experience you could expect to get in Winnipeg. Nobody got lost there.


Matchless 600cc Motorbike


One day my cousin Terry and I attended a pub called The Rose and Crown to meet McClain, the friend who'd come to England with me. In the England of that time, you dressed formally if you went out anywhere, even to a pub, whereas in Canada you just walked out the door. Well, there we were, Terry and I, seated at a table in the place, dressed in neat trousers and shirts and ties when in comes McClain in a pair of Bermuda shorts and a sweatshirt, realising a declaration he'd made several months before that he would be going 'beat' to Europe.

I was acutely embarrassed as I presented him to my cousin as a 'friend from Canada'. And there he sat with us, pint in hand, for a couple of hours amongst cast iron tables with wooden tops, upholstered chairs and flowery carpets, looking like he’d just trudged up from the beach! The locals must have thought he’d dropped from the moon.

By the middle of June, I began to turn my attention to the question of finding work, for my little store of travellers' cheques in twenty-dollar denominations was getting a bit thin, especially since the pay-out for the motorbike. My aunt suggested I might like to work in a holiday camp for the summer. Why not? I thought. I knew not what a holiday camp was at the time, but I swiftly learned that it was a species of holiday accommodation designed with a military model in mind and commonly sighted at the seaside. 

I was greatly swayed by the fact that staff at such places were accorded room and board as well as a wage, so that I could forget the question of how I would support myself. In addition, personnel had the use of the camp amenities. What better way to savour a working holiday!

There were two big chains of holiday camps in the land at the time. The bigger one, Butlin's, managed by a man called Billy Butlin, who, according to report, had come to Britain from Canada after the first world war with just £5 in his pocket. The other chain was Pontin's. As Pontin's were seeking staff at the time, I decided to ride down to their base in Bournemouth on the south coast of England and apply for a job. If the effort failed, I would at least have seen something of the country.


Bournemouth Pier

As a result of the journey, I learned of a vacancy for a waiter at Middleton Towers Holiday Camp near Morecambe in Lancashire. Lancashire? Where was that? I asked. Two hundred or more miles north of London, I discovered. I accepted the job and travelled back to Morden. I think that was on a Friday. On the Sunday I rode up to Euston Station in London and after buying a ticket and loading my motorbike on a train - which cost nothing in those days - I was bound for Morecambe in Lancashire.


Morecambe, Lancashire

Daylight was fading when I presented myself at the check-in desk of Middleton Towers.


Middleton Towers Check-in Desk

When the formalities had been dispatched, I was handed a key to a chalet and asked to report to the kitchens for work in the morning. So many details are missing from my memory of that time - none at all of the train journey from London, none of the ride from the station to the camp - but the memory of that walk along a lighted footway in the dusk among the chalets as I sought the one I wanted is still distinct despite the passage of decades.

The 'chalets' were nothing like the spacious Swiss constructions conjured up in the Canadian usage of the name. They were just rows of sleeping units with flat roofs, most containing just a couple of beds and chairs, a wardrobe and a wash basin. 'Cabins' might have been a more suitable term, except that they were not free-standing, but joined together in rows.

I stopped at the lodging I sought, inserted the key in the lock and opened the door. Stepping inside, I switched on the light. There were two beds, one plainly taken by the look of things, for a pair of trim shoes pointed decorously from underneath one of them. Red shoes. High-heeled ones. I crossed to the wardrobe and opened the door: Dresses. Pontin's really pamper their staff! I mused. Their every need is foreseen! I smiled for a moment and then switched off the light and stepped outside, shutting the door behind me, and retraced my steps to the reception desk to say a mistake had been made.

Another key, another chalet, also with signs of habitation. I was unpacking my bag in there when a fellow came in, introducing himself as John Coakley. John proved to be a marvellous fellow, and we had good times together in the months that followed. But he never once wore a pair of high-heeled shoes or a dress.

At about a quarter to seven next morning someone thumped on the door to signal it was time to rise. After groping from our beds and getting dressed, we shuffled off bleary-eyed to the dining hall, as we did every morning in the days that followed. As we sat despatching bacon and eggs, a shrill female voice rang in the air outside, as though its owner had a peg on her nose. It issued from loudspeakers fixed on stanchions, and its tone was gluey with cheeriness. 

“Good morning, campers!” it effused, and then a breezy speech ensued, starting with a weather report and finishing with the announcement that breakfast would be served in the dining hall in 15 minutes.

As the 'campers' filed into the enormous 3000-place dining hall and seated themselves eagerly, the waiters' work began. During their first day, new waiters learned the work alongside a supervisor who helped with it. After that you had to do it on your own under supervision.


Middleton Towers Holiday Camp Dining Hall

The first thing to do was to place a pot of tea and a large jug of milk on each table, which had been set the night before with cereal bowls, cups and saucers, knives, forks and spoons and little boxes of breakfast cereal. Each waiter served seven tables of four places each, and when he’d checked the preferences of the guests – bacon and egg or kippers – he weathered the swelter of the kitchen, where the white-clad cooks sweated over stoves, jabbing and scraping in pans with their spatulas, scooping out shiny jiggling eggs and pink curls of bacon or the odd pair of pallid kippers. 

The cooks set the plates in rows on a long counter where the waiters shifted them onto their trays, stacking them four high, divided by tapered aluminium rings to make a little four-tiered pagoda, and then, snatching a rack of toast on the way, they steered this creation out of the kitchen into the hall to begin serving table number one.

Carefully now, you placed the four offerings, one by one, before your guests, seated expectantly with hands on laps and straightened backs, and then you let them fall eagerly on their provender, while you went back for four more. And when you'd served table two, you returned to the kitchen to get a further four offerings for the people at table three, and so on, until at last you'd satisfied the swaying impatience of the luckless ones designated table number seven.

All the four-place tables here were grouped in pairs, set out in God knows how many columns of seven, and as the waiters advanced down the aisles dispensing breakfasts, the chatter of the campers and the clatter of the crockery and the clink of knives and forks and spoons rose to an almighty din, while the last tables were served and chairs scraped the floor as the campers began to decamp. 

As the frenzy faded in the emptying hall, you gathered  from the deserted tables all the empty jugs, tea pots, toast racks, plates, cups and saucers and all the abandoned knives and forks and spoons, and then you lugged them all back, trayful after trayful, to the kitchen, where the cooks, now converted into washers, scoured stacks of greasy plates and heaps of heavy silverware in clouds of steam rising from the stone sinks, while the waiters, now alchemised into driers, wiped dishes with antient and frayed cloths, until all was washed spotless and dried dropless and stowed in white drawers and cupboards, right down to the final spoon.

But you were not finished yet. Now your tables needed to be set for lunch with seven jugs for milk, twenty-eight bowls for soup, twenty-eight cups, twenty-eight saucers and twenty-eight knives and forks and spoons. Not till then were you free to leave. 

But two hours later you were back, serving seven tureens of soup, twenty-eight plates of food and twenty-eight bowls of dessert. The dirty dishes of twenty-eight campers had then to be gathered again and washed and dried and stored once more before your tables were laid again with twenty-eight places for dinner. And then you were free once more until it was time to tread your aisle again, fetching, serving, clearing and then drying dishes in the kitchen, and laying your tables yet again for breakfast with the thick, white china and the hefty knives and forks and spoons.

Only now, when the time was about seven in the evening, were your duties done for the day and you were free for what little remained of it. You had sweated steadily for nine or ten hours during the day, and for that lengthy sentence of labour you were awarded the princely sum of one pound sterling. It was just wage slavery in all but name.

For a short stretch along the sea, the camp was divided from the beach by a thick wall strong enough to withstand an armoured attack, and this, along with the gate that admitted only 'authorised personnel', and the open compound that could have been a parade ground, and the long rows of 'chalets' that resembled soldiers' barracks, and the loudspeakers fixed high on stanchions and the great hall where hundreds had their meals as in an army mess – all this gave the camp a distinctly military feel. And seen from the beach the whole place had the aspect of a great fortress by the sea.

Since it was remote enough from Morecambe to make trips to the town impracticable, you spent your evenings (and your money too) within the confines of the camp. After work, John and I regularly returned to our chalet for a wash and change of clothes before venturing out again to visit one of the camp bars. John was from Liverpool, and I learned that Liverpudlians, or 'scousers', as they were nicknamed, from a type of meal once eaten among the poor of the city, were a very friendly and cheery lot – and very witty too.

John had already met several of the camp’s staff – many of them scousers – and now I met them too. There was a great, meaty fellow with thick glasses called Tommy, also a waiter, but he was from 'down south' as they said in the North Country. Then there was a little lad with a perennial smile called Denny, a waiter too. And then there was George, one of the cooks. He had a big belly and an even bigger fund of jokes, and he had one of those hangdog faces that are just funny to look at.

Whatever the topic of conversation, George was sure to insert a joke or two. In the daytime he sweated in the kitchen over a hot pan on a stove or a pile of dirty plates in a sink, but in the evenings he often got upon the stage during one of the entertainment evenings organized by the 'blue coats' – a class of Pontin's staff a cut above humble cooks and waiters, distinguished by the blue blazers they wore – he got upon the stage and tickled the campers’ fancy with a string of jokes and anecdotes. Many years later, when I came to settle in England, I saw a programme on television called 'The Comedians'. One of them was introduced as ‘George Roper’. He was none other than our George – George, the sweated cook and dishwasher – from Middleton Towers Holiday Camp near Morecambe in Lancashire.

In our favourite bar, the largest one of the camp, a chap with a camera customarily threaded his way among the tables taking snaps of their occupants. Several props were brought along by his wife, and you could have your photo taken with a short stuffed figure of Yogi Bear, for instance, or a gigantic inflated plastic green thing contrived to look like a beer bottle. Or you could be pictured perhaps in an oversized and misshapen sombrero. The photos were displayed for sale next day on a stand in the camp chemists’ shop. John and I purloined any we appeared in. I still have the ones I appropriated. They are the only photos I possess of the time I spent in England in the sixties. They are in black and white of course and, for that reason alone, seem to belong to a bygone age.

One day I was obliged to take advantage of the British National Health Service. Denny and I were out for a ride on my motorbike when I took a curve in the road a little too quickly. The bike toppled sideways and we with it. Denny jumped clear but my right leg got caught between the machine and the road. When I wriggled free and got to my feet again I saw that no real damage had been done to the bike, but that my trouser leg had been torn. When I pulled it up I saw that the skin underneath had been somewhat scraped. I would have to get a dressing for it, so I took my passenger back to camp and then rode off for the hospital in Morecambe.

Queen Victoria Hospital, Morecambe

Inside, a nurse led me to a bed and drew curtains round it. Then she asked me to sit on the bed and take my trousers down. When she'd inspected the red smear she disappeared, leaving me to contemplate the patterns on the curtains. In a little while the sound of laughter issued from somewhere down the corridor and what sounded like the clinking of cups and saucers. Were they having a tea-break?

It's true I wasn't in any real pain from the light abrasions that ran down my right thigh, but there was a scarlet patch about the size of an old penny just above the kneecap where the flesh had been gouged deeper, and that was jumping a bit. I didn't know whether to laugh or to curse. Back in Canada my mother had told me that everything in England stops for tea, but that was an exaggeration surely, to show how much the English liked their tea. It could not be literally true! Evidently it was. I must have waited in my curtained cell for about two hours with my trousers down before anyone came to bandage me up.

John and I had settled down to a regular routine. We slaved away at our tables each day, and spent what little we'd earned in the bars at night. I drank bottles of Skol Lager at first, as I had done down south, for my cousin had failed to interest me in English beer. It was too strong-tasting, I thought. But lager was expensive at two and a penny for a small bottle. The Dutton's Bitter John drank – and recommended – was much better value at one and nine pence a pint. I tried a sip or two, then took to it like a thirsty camel. So now I had food, lodging, friends, good beer to drink, a new country to explore, a whole new life in fact. What more could a man want? …

Ah, what indeed?

Yes, I was ready to play the game of love again, despite the hurt I still harboured in my heart. But what a fantastic gamble it was! Twice I had staked all my emotional capital on it, so to speak, and twice I had lost. Any rational character would have looked about for  something a bit more certain - sport, maybe - or beer - or books! Not that I ever spurned beer! Beer has been a minor love affair of mine all my life. But a bunch of blokes getting tanked and telling lewd stories and boasting about their supposed sexual conquests? No thanks! I liked beer for its taste and for the relaxation it could bring, and I liked English pubs. 

But wherever I was in those days and whatever I was doing - draining a pint in one of the camp bars, maybe, or slaving away at my tables in the dining hall, or peering down at the couples gliding about on the ballroom floor - my romantic fancy would flit here and there and hover for a moment over the face of any girl that came within the ambit of my eye. Come to think of it, it's no different now!

One day, it sailed right into the glass front of a booth that encased a pretty girl, as though she were some rare and beautiful butterfly. Her job was to sell tickets of some sort. Denny and I were loitering nearby. No Englishman, I knew, would be forward enough just to go up and ask her out, so it was with a sense of double daring that I approached the booth and asked the girl what her name was. I would show these English part-timers how to do it! I can't remember exactly how the conversation went, but I learned she was from Manchester, and the upshot of the interview was that she agreed to meet me at 7.00 pm somewhere or other in the camp grounds.

I turned up well before seven and waited. Seven came and went, but there was no sign of her.

Five past... Still no sign. Was she held up for some reason?

Ten past... Where was she?

Quarter past... Was she coming at all?

Twenty past... She couldn’t be coming now…

It must have been about half past, or maybe twenty-five to - just to be sure - before I finally stopped this stupid staring this way and that. When I re-joined John he sniggered and said I'd been 'stood up'. It was no wonder English lads were so reticent when the penalty could be so humiliating. Had she and her friends been watching and giggling in concealment nearby, while I paced and fretted and peered at my watch? This was not the last time I was 'stood up', but it was the last time I was quite so 'forward'. Some of that North American brashness had been knocked out of me. I began to become English.

Girls, girls, much on my mind at that time, despite my apparent lack of success with them and regardless of the recent emotional burn I'd suffered by daring to touch the flames of love. In spite of all this misery, I was prepared to respond positively when another attractive las discharged a charm offensive at me. She was one of the many 'supervisors' who oversaw the work of the cooks and the waiters in the dining hall, and I found myself actually lying beside her one day as she sat and chatted with me on the strip of grass that ran before the rows of chalets. That day, I was witnessing the remarkable effect a bit of sunshine can have on the conduct of a race whose weather is cloudy more often than not.

At the first gleam of sunshine, many of the Pontin's staff just flocked from their doors to sit or sprawl on the grass outside. A couple of the lads had unbuttoned their shirts or removed them altogether, and the girl sitting beside me - an attractive one - was asking me why I didn't remove mine. Well, to tell you the truth, I didn’t think the weather all that warm – although the sun shone clear in the sky – and anyway I'm not the sort to embrace strange ceremonies. 

I declined to remove my shirt, and she, becoming persuasive, began  to unbutton it. This seemed an invitation. I bent my head towards her face and tried to kiss her lips, but her response to that was just to push me away! However, when the flames she'd kindled died down, she started stirring the embers again with another attempt to unbutton my shirt.

Did I say it wasn't warm? It was distinctly hot now! I was hot - glowing hot - for this lovely little bitch that wouldn't let me touch her! She was just toying with me. I knew that well enough because I remembered Brenda. Her purpose was simply to warm herself in the fire she'd lit, this seductive little mammal, but she herself was cold, cold as a reptile. And there was nothing I could do about that. But one hopes against hope at times. I asked her out for the evening. She would be at Ye Old farm house, she said, a bar that had originally been an ancient farmhouse. I knew what that meant. I had seen her there before holding court before a bunch of eager lovers. 

I didn't go.

A real lottery, this game of love. Could you ever win?

The problem was not that no women were interested in me. It's just that I wasn't interested in the ones that were interested in me. I recall another little supervisor with a shapeless form, spectacles and a pasty complexion who smiled warmly whenever I passed her by, but for me her amorousness was spoiled by the smell of her sweaty armpits.  Her manner towards me became markedly unpleasant, I remember, when she realised her interest was not returned.

And there was yet another great strapping woman with an eager face and plentiful breasts, who looked like she could - and would - eat me for breakfast. But she just couldn't perceive my lack of interest in her. She repeatedly took my politeness for receptiveness. I finally punctured the illusion in a café one night by feigning to be a little drunker than I was, and, taking advantage of the fact that I had quite genuinely stumbled against a piece of furniture, I let myself go crashing to the floor in a great clatter of chairs and tables.  I recall the look of utter disgust on her face as she stood looking down at me. She lost interest then.

I have a fancy that this woman could well have been the owner of the red shoes I encountered on my first night in the camp when I was sent to the wrong chalet. It's possible that no mistake had been made that night, after all, and that I was sent there by her boyfriend, who hoped that an amorous relationship might develop between her and I that would relieve him of her unfeminine forwardness! 

One Saturday, maybe about the middle of July, John and I had just stopped work and were anticipating the motorbike trip to Liverpool we had planned for the next day to visit John's parents, when a camp official knocked at our door to say that, owing to a shortage of staff, we would be required to work the next day. Well, when you slave away for nine or ten hours a day for six days a week you feel entitled to a day off, so next morning we jumped on the bike and shot out the gate as planned. Work be damned! We rode into Morecambe and then pressed south on the M6. 


                                                 Charnock Richard junction on the M6

John's 'mam' and his 'ole fella' lived in a great human warren known as St Andrew's Gardens Apartments, not far from the city centre. This was a pile of blackened bricks five floors high, built in the shape of a ring and known locally as 'The Bull Ring'. It was a great coliseum of a place housing hundreds, with a great arched entranceway opening into a circular cobbled courtyard with heavy balconies running round the inner walls. We climbed a dark stairwell, where the smell of urine hung in the air - Saturday night drunks, John explained - and then leaned on the solid parapet and peered down into that dim round pit. I thought of all the light and spacious dwellings I'd lived in and winced.


                                          St Andrew's Gardens Apartments, Liverpool

But then John began to describe Bonfire Night there, a memory clearly dear to him, for his eyes grew a bit misty. And for a time I saw a little of what he was seeing as he described it: the jumbled tower of boxes and crates and old doors and broken sections of fencing and split mattresses and bits of beds and tables and scrap wardrobes that had been raised in the central space like some crazy monument; the great flames that leapt at the dome of stars overhead; the billows of smoke rising within the walls as if from some huge cauldron; and a great stirring of people flickering orangely as they talked and laughed and gestured. 

And I saw the children too. Some, with scarlet faces, prodding the blaze with sticks and starting up flocks of sparks; others, almost invisible, slicing the darkness with fiery arcs or cupping a trembling flame against the breeze, their features lit like devils'; and farther back in the darting shadows of the crowd the young ones with faces illumined like pearls, motionless beside their mothers, fascinated.

And it seemed to me then that I was the one who had missed something.




The apartment of John's 'mam' and 'ole fella' was small and modestly furnished. Passing through the door, I felt like a rich kid come to visit the home of a poor friend. But there was real warmth in the greeting I got. Scarcely inside the place, I was pressed to a seat at a table opposite John, where his 'mam' levered out a neat square of meat and potato pie each from a baking tray and slipped them onto plates placed before us. The family had gathered up few enough of the things of this world, but they were more than eager to share what little they had, and though their modest lives were carried on several floors above the ground, you could not have wished for more earthy, more genuine or more generous people.


                                                       Meat and Potato Pie

Soon after our return to the camp, a couple of burly security guards came round to our chalet with the message that we'd been sacked for refusing to work that day. It was their job to see that we cleared out immediately. But they were polite enough about the affair, and one of them even told us to take our time when we began gathering things together quickly. I experienced little in England of that officiousness that seemed to characterise North American life. If this episode had taken place in Winnipeg, I reflected, these two would have been swaggering a bit.

But you know, there was something else in all this that was very different from life in Canada too. Here we were on the brink of leaving this establishment after several weeks of work there, but we had never ever seen our bosses. In effect, the operation was run by an army of 'supervisors', who, I suspect, were paid little more than the cooks and waiters. 

In retrospect, the memory of my time in that holiday camp reminds me of the theme of a British television series that appeared some years later and developed quite a cult following, even in Canada, where I watched it. It was called 'The Prisoner', and the main character was a British spy, played by Patrick McGoohan, who had been drugged and abducted to a mysterious place by the sea called 'The Village'. On regaining consciousness, he was forced to discharge duties with no hope of escape from a claustrophobic establishment characterised by a suffocating pressure to conform and a phoney sense of 'community'. Though he tried hard throughout 13 episodes to find out who he worked for, he never succeeded in doing so. 'The Village' was portrayed a lot like a holiday camp.

Scene from 'The Prisoner' Television Series

But where to clear out to? I had no doubt where I was going - back to London - and I asked John if he cared to come with me. He had no money, he said. I had a couple of travellers' cheques left, I told him. These would cover the cost of the petrol and initial expenses in London until we got jobs. He agreed to come then, saying he would reimburse me. 

But London was a big place. Just where would we go when we got there? I favoured Morden of course because it was familiar to me, but Tommy suggested Streatham, his own home town. It was a good place to live, he said - lots of pubs and a dance hall as well. If we settled there, he would join us in a week or two. Just write to him at the camp and say where we got settled, that's all.

We agreed.




And there we all are. Or, rather, were! That is Tommy on the extreme left and little Denny to the left of him. I am fifth on the left and John is seated next to me, with George Roper next to him. 
                                   


Middleton Towers Holiday Camp, 1939 to 1993 and beyond.

A few photos to attach some images to the writing:



The Berengaria, built in the style of an ocean liner, housing the reception area and a 2000-seat theatre.





    
   Inside the Theatre




This photo shows some of the chalets in the days when holiday camp culture was thriving.



   
The old farmhouse that was converted to a bar.



    
The camp closed in 1993 and then began to disintegrate.



     Sad to see...












The reception desk where I presented myself for work in May of 1964 and was sent to the wrong chalet.




This photo of the camp appeared in an article published by The Bay radio station in May of 2014. As you can see, the Berengaria has been completely demolished.





A photo of George Roper on television in 1975, 11 years after I left the camp. I've chosen this particular photo for my post because it shows a characteristic pose of the mouth that you can see also in the photo of him taken at the holiday camp. This sideways turn of the lips, I noted, is a kind of 'style' that many Liverpudlians seek to emulate. I think it is meant to suggest that they don't take life too seriously.

As I was preparing this post I was saddened to learn that George had died of cancer in 2003.


                                       *********************************************





After a lengthy search I found this picture of 'The Bull Ring'. There is no date on it but it appears to have been taken in the 1960s or 70s. At any rate you can see that it is still inhabited by poor people. But I was greatly surprised to learn that the place still exists, because I thought that it would have been demolished in the great slum clearances of the 60s and 70s. But I found that the building was not all that old, for it was built in 1939 specifically to house people on low income.




This is what it looks like now. All the poor people have long gone. They have been 'rehoused' in areas like Kirkby, where land is much cheaper but where there is little possibility of finding work. The old place has been completely renovated and divided up into flats for students at  £350 a month.





No comments:

Post a Comment