21 Full Circuit



                                                                           Basel


It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.

— Confucius


Friday, 22nd October, found me back at Basel, passing another night at the youth hostel there. I was finally heading back to Britain all right, but not by the shortest route. Belgium and Holland beckoned as a denouement to my Continental adventure, and yes, I wished to spend a little time in Wuppertal with a certain small, blonde, German girl.

On the Saturday morning, casting for lifts on an Autobahn slip road, I was ecstatic when a girl in a Volkswagen Beetle swerved to the curb. Her name was Greta, she said in excellent English when I’d climbed in beside her, and she was on her way back to Düsseldorf after a short visit to Switzerland. What luck! To get a long lift like that and… Even if Greta removed her thick spectacles she wouldn’t win any beauty contests, that’s true, but she had all the right parts in all the right places, in the smutty masculine talk of the time . In short, she was a girl, and a very pleasant one too.

But she did not plan to make Düsseldorf that day, as it was her purpose to visit friends en route. And so it was we left the motorway at Karlsruhe and headed for her friends' residence. When Greta had made introductions I was invited to stay for a meal, and later that evening my new female friend delivered me to the town’s youth hostel to pass the night.

In the morning, she collected me and we resumed our route to Düsseldorf. But later I was puzzled to find us off the route again, as Greta said she wished to investigate an old church at Bad Frankenhausen worthy of a visit. Since a church meant only religion to me and religion meant only boredom, I felt no flicker of curiosity about the place, for I was so steeped in ignorance and so resistant to anything that smacked of art that I couldn’t conceive that the building itself might harbour any interest. 

But in the event, my attention was modestly drawn when she pointed out the slanting steeple, caused, she declared, by a cannon ball that had struck it during some conflict or other. It was from Greta too that I learned to make the very elementary distinction between the Gothic style and the Romanesque. 



               Leaning Church Tower, Bad Frankenhausen, Germany


When we reached the youth hostel at Düsseldorf, she pulled over to the kerb. 


                                        Düsseldorf, Germany

Alas, we were now about to go our separate ways again after two days on the road together untinged by any hint of romantic feeling between us, not even as much as the touch of a hand. That was a shame, but no solid possibility for romance had surfaced. I thanked her now for the long lift she had given me and leaned over to kiss her good-bye. At that, she flung her arms round my neck and pressed her lips hotly to mine!

After a few moments she said she must leave now, as her father was expecting her. I asked if we could meet again, for I wasn’t that desperate to get back to England. England could wait. And Dorothee, pretty little Dorothee? Well, I suppose she could wait too. It was a palpable matter of a bird in the hand! What was the use of adoring girls from afar? Greta's face wouldn't have launched a single ship, but she was eminently accessible. She promised to return the next evening and show me around the 'old town'.

On the stage of my memory of the following evening there appears a brightly-lit scene of the interior of a big, noisy beer hall somewhere in Düsseldorf’s old quarter in the early hours of the morning. 


                                                                   Beer Hall, Düsseldorf


Surveying the place with a kind of awe from our little island of a table, I asked Greta if the place ever closed. She said it did – from 5.30 am to 6.30 am - for cleaning. I was mightily impressed. The only sign of life you might see in my old home town at that hour of the night would be a couple of gloomy customers huddled on stools in a Salisbury House, a Winnipeg institution that for as long as I can remember has dispensed fast food to busy people in the daytime and shift workers as well as sleepless rovers at night.


The hostel, of course, presented a shuttered and extinguished-looking façade when we got back to it in the grey light of dawn. Greta parked the car in a nearby street as silent and still as a cemetery and when I held my arms open for her she came into them flamingly. I was alarmed. Was the episode with Rita about to be enacted again? I feared so. Twice in my life I’d known woman as modest maid, innocent as a flower and pure as the driven snow. Now here again was woman as temptress, seductress, morally questionable and dark with fathomless desires. Would my puny efforts to stay afloat in this sea of feminine passion serve me any better than they had in the surging sea at Marina di Massa?

I had my doubts. Although the setting for my adventure with Rita had been pretty well ideal, in so much as I’d been able to share a comfortable bed with a mature woman in an empty house, in the event I’d actually failed to perform. How then could I hope to manage the act in this diminutive automobile? But I couldn’t back out now. Things had gone too far! Panties were now abandoned with disturbing ease – this was all happening too fast again – and the next thing I knew, Greta had climbed astride my lap in the passenger seat! 

Then, trembling with the fear of failure, and the utter absence of any sexual excitement, I jerked my jeans down and clumsily pressed the relevant members together. She moved rapidly up and down for a time, but it was no use. We couldn’t couple. After a time she gave up. I blamed myself for the failure, as she’d taken the lead and I’d failed to follow. But years later, when I was more experienced in the art of lovemaking,  I realised that the act we'd been seeking to perform in that confined space would have been impossible for anyone but a couple of contortionists!

I spent the remainder of that day just resting. Next day I was in Wuppertal,


                                       Wuppertal, Germany


distinguished by its trams, some of which ran overhead.

Well, Dorothee would be rather more modest, wouldn’t she? Prettiness like hers wasn’t just to be had for the asking. But I never saw her. She wasn’t at home when I rang the number she’d given me. Her father answered, but since he couldn’t speak a word of English, I couldn’t discover when she’d be back. For all I knew, she could have gone off travelling again. I thought of staying another night and trying again the next day, but the result might have been the same. And then maybe I began to castigate myself a bit for the time I was wasting in this purposeless pursuit of girls. I felt I had to get on with my journey and my life.

That evening in Brussels I remember pacing a rain-wet pavement before boarding a tramcar simply to escape the drizzle. 


Brussels, Belgium



As it rattled along its track I noted the conductor moving down the lighted aisle collecting fares. It was then I realised I possessed none of the country’s currency, so I hopped off at the next stop and searched for a bureau de change. Then, with a modest supply of Belgian francs in my pocket, I sought out the town’s youth hostel.

Next morning, thumbing on the road once more, I met an American fellow who introduced himself as Peter Johnson. Peter was an unassuming fellow, unlike most Americans I’d ever met, so that we fell promptly into talk. We tried to hitch-hike together at first, but as hitching proved impracticable as a pair, we went our separate ways again.

I passed that night in the youth hostel at Ostend, and crossed the Channel on the ferry to Dover on Thursday, 28th October,  reaching London later that day.


                                           Ostend-Dover Ferry, 1966


From the spot where my last lift left me, I strode along a sunny pavement by the Tames, invigorated by the crisp autumn air and the bustling life of the passersby. And then, hoisting my rucksack a little higher on my back, I trudged the last few yards of my lengthy peregrinations and put an end to them in the middle of London Bridge.


London Bridge





No comments:

Post a Comment